~ How I Limewashed the Exterior of My House for Under $10.00 ~

I live in the historic district of McKinney in a 60 year old ranch style house.
 A few years ago I lime-washed our green painted brick to give it a lighter look.
The lot is filled with trees creating a dark shaded yard. Well when I initially
painted the original ugly reddish orange brick green I didn't realize
 the green brick would fade into the shaded green landscaping.
 So I decided to lighten the house by white lime-washing the brick.
This solved the problem.


There are many ways to lime-wash a house but this is the method I used. 
I purchased a 30 pound bag of lime from a big box store at the cost of around $7.00. 
 I mixed about 2 parts lime to 1 part water in a 5 gallon bucket...
about the consistency of pancake batter.


I painted on the lime-wash mixture over the painted green brick in a 
random pattern allowing some of the green brick to show through. 
If you want the lime-wash to be chippy looking add more lime
to the mixture.


After the lime-wash dried I took a SOS pad and sanded off
some of the lime-wash where I wanted more green to show through.
Lime-washing is a very fast project and it only cost me $7.00 for the whole house.
This is a very easy do-it-yourself process.
The lime-wash on my house is four years old and still looks great.
I hope you enjoy your lime-wash project!

Join me on Facebook and Instagram and stop by for a visit to my
Lady Butterbug Shoppe in McKinney for all your Annie Sloan Chalk Paint® products.






3 comments:

  1. I love the shutters! Did you make them or purchase them? I am a big fan of Annie Sloan chalk paint and admire your projects that I have viewed online.
    Thanks! Melissa C

    ReplyDelete
  2. What kind of lime did you purchase?

    ReplyDelete