~ How to Turn Annie Sloan's Dark Wax into a Glaze ~


I love the lines of this desk.  
It is a well constructed piece with great hardware.


This is the perfect piece for me to try my
 hand at mixing a Dark Soft Wax glaze and Silver Gilding Wax.

I decided to leave the top stained but it needed Annie's Clear Soft Wax 
to bring back its luster.
I applied a thin layer of Clear Wax with my Premium Wax Brush,
allowed the wax to dry overnight and polished using a soft rag.

Before I started painting I used blue painter's tape to tape off
the drawers and top. 
For drawers or doors that fit into an exact opening it is important to
not add too much paint to the sides.  
If too much paint is added the drawers will not
 slide into the opening and the doors will not close.


Using blue tape on the inside of the drawers keeps the drawers looking clean.


Next I painted two coats of Annie's beautiful slate color...Graphite.
I wanted a smooth painted look so I used Annie's pure bristle paint brush
and straight line painted following the wood grain.
Painted one coat allowing to dry for one hour and painted the second coat
of Graphite.


When waxing and glazing a piece this size it is best to wax in sections.
Take the drawers out and wax the front frame first, sides next, and drawers last.
Remember the top has already been clear waxed before the painting began.

I applied the Clear Soft Wax first followed by a 
Dark Soft Wax glaze with Silver Gilding Wax.

To make the glaze I mixed 3 tablespoons of Dark Soft Wax,
3 tablespoons mineral spirits, and 1 tablespoon Silver Gilding Wax.
I mixed this glaze in a nacho boat and didn't totally
mix the Gilding Wax into the mixture.  You can see clumps of the Gilding Wax
in the picture.  I did this so I would have imperfect amounts of the silver on my
brush as I painted on the glaze.
 

 Now the creative fun begins....the waxing and glazing!

Using a Premium wax brush I Clear Waxed 
the desk front and while the wax was damp I painted
on the glaze using a paint brush.  Apply the glaze following the direction
of the wood grain.  You should create a striated look with veins of silver
running through the glaze.  This is a very imperfect look.

                           
                             I painted and glazed the hardware too.  Next Clear Wax each side
and paint on the glaze.  Insert the drawers into the desk, Clear Wax,
and paint on glaze.  Make sure all the drawers have a similar glazed look.
Allow the glaze to dry overnight
and polish with a soft rag.


                                                        This desk is showcased at our
                                                    McKinney Lady Butterbug Shoppe.
We have more oohs and ahhs over this piece than any other
piece of furniture in our shoppe.

Thanks for spending time with me.
I had so much fun with this waxing/glazing technique.
Please feel free to ask me questions.  For information about Annie's
Chalk Paint® visit our website Lady Butterbug
and read the FAQ's at the top of the page.










click map Shop for Paint Pinterest Google+ Facebook Instagram


4 comments:

Mary Murphy said...

Beautiful! Can't wait to try your technique. Thank you so very much for sharing with us.

Mary Murphy said...

Beautiful! Can't wait to try your technique. Thank you so very much for sharing with us.

Unknown said...

Long shot here, but can I add regular craft paint to wax to color it? I bought clear wax and would like to try to darken it without having to purchase dark wax! Thanks so much, Kim

Lindsey said...

when you put the wax on did you wipe it off or just apply it with not wiping off?

Copyright © 2015 Lady Butterbug
Design by Kim Six Blogger Support